Sunday 22 April 2018

Where's the Irish?


I spent that past few weeks finishing off my mother’s direct line – and the cousins I have on her side, phew ~~ 15 kids had 15 kids and so on ~~ gonna take a lifetime to work on!  Thank God her family is already well documented!

Unlike the Vincent line, the Hubley family is one of the founding families of southern Nova Scotia - from Lunenburg to Seabright and more - it's huge and colorful!  Farmers, gold-diggers, sons who joined the Boston Mob, to Hell’s Angels members going away for murder and much, much more!  A-maze Balls!  

It reminded me why, or rather how, I got hooked on all of this in the first place – the stories, the intrigue, the beautiful threads that weave together to make a blanket called family.

But I set out to confirm whether or not I was Irish as the family lore is that my 4x grandfather fled Ireland on the wrong side of the law.  The mystery of my line is a tortuous web of misdirection – from religion [Catholic, Baptist, Friends] to names [David Robinson is Robert David; Vincent, Vicent, Vinson] to origins [English, French, Irish]. 

Am I any closer?  Sort of.

I got the results of my DNA recently and well, this totally narrows it down - um, not!


2 comments: