Thursday 5 January 2017

Levi Vincent & Katie Quillivan


Even after all the research I have done, I still have many an outstanding question regarding my Nova Scotia roots - I desperately need to make a trip home to camp out in the various archives!

For example, have a look at this chart from 1986 printed in GR Vincent’s booklet, 46 Acres, 5 Hoggs and a Family….

I have the following 12 children for Joshua and Hannah: Benjamin Treen 1834, John William 1835, Elizabeth Ellen 1836, George 'Josh' 1837, James 'Edward' 1839, Levi 1840, James 1841, Charles 1842, Mary Jane 1849, Henry 1851, Mary Jane 1854 and Philip 1855....

….but notice the group of kids assigned to George of 1810 in the bottom right....

These kids appear to be Joshua’s children based on the research and dates, however, there is a question - if George Jr died c 1860, is it possible that Joshua took in his brother’s kids and raised them as his own – it could explain the 2 James & 2 Marys?

I have to leave that as I don't have an answer, but one discovery I made in my research that I was proud of was that of Levi Vincent, the son of Joshua Vincent & Hannah Treen – he’s not noted in the tree above.

I can’t un-find all the associated documents now so it’s difficult to remember exactly how I stumbled across his name and family other than by pure luck combined with creative searching!

Based on the census, Levi arrived in Massachusetts around 1860 and by 1863, he had served a year in the Civil War (1862-63) in Co G, 42 Mass Inf.

Ready to settle down, he married an Irish lass by the name of Catherine ‘Katie’ Quillivan in 1867 at Bridgewater and he settled into farming at Brockton; together they had 5 children – Mary, William, Catherine, George & Richard.

It was his death certificate that cinched the relationship- yippee for me!




3 comments: