Saturday 24 February 2018

Arbuckle - The Tale of Two Charles


oh no facepalm GIFMAJOR UPDATE/CORRECTION
A cousin recently contacted me to point out a discrepancy in the death record of Capt CharlesArbuckle who died in 1922 ~~ mainly, did I have the right son for Ole Willie Arbuckle and Mary Vincent?

Slap my forehead ~~ wasted research again!?!  I mean have a look at the death certificate, look what I missed!
courtesy of Pam and Ed Kirkland ~~ NS Historical Vital Stats

Who the heck are James Arbuckle and Elizabeth McDonald?

So I sat for a few minutes staring at it, stunned that I missed the obvious and debating whether to dive right in and settle it or wait till the next day because I don’t always keep the best notes - which results in my having to dig around the entire family all over again ~~ ugg, ugg, ugg 

Like a gnat, it wouldn’t let go so I grabbed a tea and began....

The problem is, is that there are 2 Charles born around the same time in the area.

Capt Charles 1823-1922, who married Mary Bowen - I had him as the son of Ole Willie Arbuckle and Mary Vincent   

Then there is Charles born about 1827, who married Sarah Arbuckle 

Capt Charles....If you have a look at the informant, it states that Mrs Luther MacDonald is his granddaughter.  Here I did have a note, Mrs Luther MacDonald  was the daughter of William Arbuckle & Catherine/Cassie Maclean ~~ Mary Jane Arbuckle who married Angus Luther MacDonald. This proves that my Charles & Mary research is correct....HOWEVER, I have done nothing to prove he's the son of William Arbuckle & Mary Vincent.

I looked everywhere for a James Arbuckle and Elizabeth McDonald with negative results but there were trees on Ancestry so I poked around in the various trees - nothing made sense to me - even the YOB listed on the censuses made it hard at times to figure which Charles was being counted - sigh.

Around 9pm, I stumbled across the most amazing recordings that revealed everything - well most of it....

They proved that Capt Charles and James Arbuckle (1836) were brothers  BUT they were not the sons of William Arbuckle & Mary Vincent!

These 2 boys were sons of .... wait for it....James Arbuckle and Elizabeth McDonald!  

In the recordings, Florence Charlotte Turner (nee MacDonld) - states that there were 2 Jims - James Sr was the father of James Jr - Jr was her grandfather and her great grandfather was the son of Charles from Scotland and Polly McGee.

Then later, she talks about William Arbuckle, son of Charles of Scotland and one of his daughters and she was clear that William Arbuckle and Mary Vincent only had one son but she doesn't name him.  She does say that there is a Charles in just about every family.

So where does that leave me?  Most of the trees on Ancestry have the Charles of 1827 as the son of William Arbuckle and Mary Vincent - I will follow their lead for now and flush out the family, but I haven't seen anything definitive so heaven help me, this could all change again! 

A huge, huge, huge thank you to Pam Kirkland for reaching out!!!

Florence Charlotte Turner (nee Arbuckle) Island Voice



No comments:

Post a Comment