Tuesday 15 August 2017

Mary Jane Vincent







Well look at me go……..I found another long lost family member!




There are so many Mary Jane Vincents in the family it all gets confusing but today I talk about the one in my direct line.  Joshua Vincent & Hannah Treen – my 5x grandparents - had 12 children that we know of – two of them named Mary Jane. 

courtesy of Murray Sands
The first little one was born in 1849 and unfortunately, died 1854 - she was buried at Wentworth Cemetery in Nova Scotia

Then in June of 1854, they had another baby girl and they re-used the name …..this Mary Jane was annoying in soooo many ways…


In 2011 I found her on the 1871 & 1881 censuses and I found her marriage to a Mariner named Christopher McLean.  They had 3 children but only one lived.  Lillas died in 1873 and Susan died in 1876 and then there was Henrietta.  Mary, Christopher & Henrietta were dead ends after the 1881 census. 

Then in 2012 I found Henrietta living as Ada - she was Henry Ada on the 1881 census and most trees have her simply as Ada.  She had married Anton Nymoen and they were living in Tacoma, yet I still couldn't find Mary & Christopher.  Another year later and I found that Ada & Anton had one daughter, Nelda and that she had married Alonzo Nigh and had 2 children of their own.

And now in August 2017, as I revisit my tree from the beginning ~~ and after a week a scouring, toying with variations, and mulling over bits and pieces ~ ~ I struck gold!

It all started with a tree on ancestry which stated that Christopher had retired to British Columbia - this makes sense because I had been wondering how Ada would have ended up in Washington by herself - it wasn't a common thing for children, girls especially, to venture off alone.  

I am not sure if British Columbia is true or not because I could not find any records there so I decided to just search for them in Tacoma where their only living daughter was living with her husband & child.

Lo & behold......I found Mary, widowed, living in Tacoma in 1899 - so I now know Christoper died before 1899 - if I were a betting person, I would say he died in Washington rather than BC but only a record would confirm that.  

Regardless, the discovery was Amaze-Balls because it led to me finding her final resting spot!  It turns out Mary Jane remarried 2 ~ count em ~ 2 more times!! 

She first remarried to a Charles Borcher in 1908 at Tacoma, then in 1915 she married a third time to Simeon Rumbaugh and she died in 1919 in Orting, WA!!!  
courtesy of Mike Webb - Find A Grave
 Yippee to me again - tenacity pays off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment