Monday 21 March 2016

The Folly of Blind Faith in Genealogy



Once again, I am baffled by the amount of misinformation there is to be found within the world of genealogy.  How, many of us excited to fill in missing information, get sucked in. 

It takes a great deal of effort to look at information objectively, critically; sometimes, it’s  easier to simply go along with the pack.  I am guilty, I admit it.  Then kick myself once I realize that I did it again! 

I am revisiting research that I had completed nearly 3 years ago and I have just spent the better part of two days, digging through newspapers and records for a family that is not mine! Putting together the pieces of a complicated blended family - because - I realized the mother was wrong.

Specifically, Isaac Schouten – the son of Cpl William Schouten & Hannah Smith out of Halfmoon, NY married a Sarah Titcomb in 1876 and she was reported to have been the daughter of Stephen Titcomb and Harriet Rogers.

But Sarah is not Harriet's daughter!  

Harriet had been married twice.  First in 1828 to one Egbert Bratt Grandin – he was the publisher of the very first Book of Mormon being a printer in Palmyra, New York and owner of the Wayne Sentinel. In researching this a bit further, I discovered that they had had 6 children together by the time he died in 1845.  In 1848, she married Stephen Titcomb.

But here’s the rub - Sarah Titcomb was born about 1835 in Waterford – how did I miss this the first time around 3 years ago?   

Because I didn’t look for dates – such a simple step, one that doesn't require too much effort – I didn’t do it!  UGGG

So off I went on the hunt for Sarah’s mother, pissed at myself for falling for it again; guilty of putting the wrong information out there for others to use.   I had to make this right.

Harriet had 6 Grandin children and those living were named in her will; she did not name any of Stephen’s children.  Stephen’s will provided for Harriet in the event of his death, otherwise, the inheritance went to his single daughter still living at home – Sarah Titcomb , and 2 children living in Illinois– not named in Harriet’s will.
 
Stephen had 5 children that I could find and as I was working through his son John's family, I tripped over a leaf on ancestry and lo-and-behold, the researcher, Elizabeth Thompson, had his mother’s name!  

Unabashed, I trolled through the family on her tree to see where she had found this information – I wanted it, and I wanted it to be right!

Elizabeth had made a note that she found the name with the burial information for Stephen's daughter, Jane who had been buried in 1861 at Oakwood Cemetery in Troy.  Sure enough I confirmed it via a link to the records – listed under mother - Jane Reid!

I am very happy that I stumbled onto this error.  Elated that I was able to find the mother and correct my tree.  However, I am almost certain it won’t be the last of my own foibles – this one – settling for the easy way out!


Two days of research – gone, in the wrong direction, uggg

No comments:

Post a Comment