Wednesday 21 September 2016

To Share Or Not to Share - That is the Question

Genealogy is a funny hobby, not a side-hurting laughing kind of funny, more like a dang-the-pain funny bone kind.  

Eye sore, butt sore & at times sleep deprived, we are the quacks who can spend, hours, days, weeks and months scouring resources looking for the tiniest lead on a family member.  Yelling "Yes" when we've done it! (I personally do a chair dance singing, "I did it, I did it" - but don't tell anyone)

Those of us who give a damn, who want to be respected for our work, who want to be a credible resource for others, take the time to record where we found the information; doing our best to check and double check what we ourselves are recording for other users.  

We never want to be accused of being a charleton or a copy cat and we quietly fume when see our work show up elsewhere without so much as a nod our way - which makes us secretive, possessive.    

So how much do we share? Should we share?  I have this conversation, better word - argument, with myself all the time.

And, how do we ever celebrate our achievements if we never share?  Who else is ever going to know or be excited for us, with us, join us, if we don't?

In the end - knowing that I have been copied and used and that it will happen again, and at times begrudgingly - I share for 4 reasons:

First, despite all the resources that have been digitized, there is so much information that is not published online so how does someone like me, living so very far away from the very resources I need, help myself without breaking the bank? If my efforts help those like me, that makes me happy.

Second, there is so much misinformation out there, I feel I need to post it so if another of the line finds my work, they can see the sources, go have a look for themselves and either agree or challenge me.  Together, we can work to find the 'right' answer.

Third - I WANT AN ATTA GURL!  Just kidding - but I am so dang proud of myself at times for busting thru a brick wall or finding a long lost relative, that I am chomping at the bit to tell someone.  So I post it!

Lastly, I wouldn't be where I am had it not been for the generosity of other researchers - who shared information, checked records for free for me, shared researching tips and challenged my thinking at times.   I am grateful to those who have taken the time to share with me and spend some time with me on a family member - so much of my family would still be a mystery if it hadn't been for the generosity of another - I will continue to pay it forward!  

I enjoy my hobby wholeheartedly! Now, away, I have work to do......



  

2 comments: