Sunday 31 January 2016

Mary Ann Vincent (nee Rogers)


Mary Ann Rogers was my 4x grandmother, the daughter of David Rogers and Hannah Hanley or Hedly.  She was born in River John, NS and married John Vincent in 1855 at Wallace, NS.  


photo by Plamen Troshev
She died in 1904 and was buried at the Mt Hope Cemetery in Boston, MA.

Truro Daily News, Thurs, 14 Apr 1904
VINCENT - At Boston, March 31, [1904], Mary A, wife of J W Vincent, in the 71st year of her age. 

How I wish that obit was filled with her life and story!  This pair is an ongoing mystery for me in many ways but I sure wish I could have flushed out the children more...too many gaps.

On the 1900 US census in Boston, Mary Ann indicated that she was a widow and that she had had 12 children but only 8 were lived.  To date I have found 10 of the 12. Of those 10, George Harris is the only one I found who died young

Presbyterian Witness, Sat, 15 Jun 1878
VINCENT, George D 4 Jun at Pictou in 17th yr

There is a possibility that the following obit is for her oldest son but I haven't been able to confirm.

Presbyterian Witness, Sat, 14 Nov 1885
VINCENT, William D as a result of injuries received during an explosion at his mill in West Devon, PEI.
 But what of the 2 unidentified?  What became of Hannah & Edith and James?  The children of their children......ugg

No comments:

Post a Comment