Saturday 12 September 2015

Shutterbug Saturday



I can’t help myself – I collect pictures – pictures of tombstones and faces, treasures and more as I work through my tree – maps, buildings – I love it all!

Maps help me put places and migration into perspective, especially if I can transport my mind back in time to imagine how they would have travelled.  For example, I can’t remember the name of the gold miner I was working on but it took me forever to figure out why it would take a year to get to Alaska until I realized the fella had hitched a ride on a boat!

Here’s a map of the Thirteen Colonies, during the American Revolution – I like this particular map because it includes the Maritimes – we Vincents may have started in New York but we have migrated all across North America since the beginning 
 
Thirteen Colonies 1763-1775

[click on map for full view]
 

New Map of North America “shewing” all new discoveries 1797


[click on map for full view]






And this last one is my favorite!  

This map was given to the Maine Historical Society.  It is of New Amsterdam, aka New York.

If you follow the “Common Ditch” – you’ll find Adrian Vincent in yellow, s/e side – this map is important because there is a possibility that Adrian is Charles Sr’s father – the first to the new land and he hailed from Belgium.   

As mentioned, I am not far enough into my research to say yay or nay to that idea and there are conflicting theories – if anyone knows for sure, I would love to hear from you!!  
 


New-Amsterdam Original Land Grants 1642



[click on map for full view]





No comments:

Post a Comment